By Bill MacLeod, Executive Director
On November 5-6, Mission ConneXion Southwest fulfilled a vision that was launched almost exactly 20 years ago to the day…
Back on November 15, 2001, over 300 pastors gathered for a luncheon to hear Luis Palau help us cast the vision for what would become Mission ConneXion.
The theme we had chosen for our inaugural January 18-19, 2002, event was “Enlarge Your Borders” taken from Isaiah 54:2 “Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your tent curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes.”
Mission ConneXion Southwest DID fulfill that vision to enlarge in numerous ways. Early indicators suggest that…
- Their 50-500-5000 Vision was new and fresh and really struck a chord!
- At least 82 churches were involved, and 22 of those were partner churches.
- At least 21 States were represented including Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Maryland, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, and Oklahoma.
- Volunteer Teams came to serve from Montana and Washington State!
- At least 6 countries were represented including Ecuador, India, Jordan, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.
- 18 Workshop Tracks offered over 70 Workshop sessions led by mission experts from mission agencies, local churches and Phoenix Seminary!
- Over 42 Mission Agency Exhibitors engaged participants who were discovering their role in the Great Commission!
- Two of our Plenary speakers, Dr. Florene Muindi, and Dr. See Seng Tan were from Singapore, and Kenya, Africa respectively.
- Over 40 mostly students came forward at the conclusion to ask for prayer on how they could find and fulfill their role in the Great Commission!
- For the first time in Mission Connexion history, two entertainers who are committed to Christ shared their stories: Shock Rocker Alice Cooper and his wife Sheryl, and American Idol finalist, Scott MacIntyre!
There is so much more that could be said – this is only meant to be a “first impressions” snapshot. To expand on the “What’s Your Role?” weekend…
- You may now view Plenary Sessions you missed, they are on the MCSW website and can be viewed for free here.
- You may now listen to the Audio Workshop Recordings, that have also been uploaded and accessed for free here.
- You may contribute to the ongoing work of Mission ConneXion Southwest here.
More than the numbers and the tangible results we are still in process of tabulating, the real engine behind the fruit that remains from this event and ongoing effort can be traced back to the amazing, humble, dedicated Steering Team who has faithfully prayed and worked hard for over two years…the Volunteers who willingly stepped up and stepped out to make the whole event work…and the incredible servant-hearted staff of the host venue – Scottsdale Bible Church, who served us before, during, and after the event. We are all so humbled by your service to the King of Kings!
Plans are already underway for year 2: November 4-5, 2022. Stay tuned!